This is an apology post for anyone that may have visited here in the past, oh I don’t know, 6 months, maybe more – and experienced a slow loading website or some other strange behavior. Basically I have been struggling with site issues since last May to the point where I was about to just say f-it all. These are the things behind running your own site that just suck away time like you wouldn’t believe. And of course, I keep telling myself, I can fix this!
First, it started with the Russians. Doesn’t it always? 🙂 But they sure were interested in my blog, almost as much as the Ukrainians. That resulted in my former host pestering me about resource issues, who were absolutely ZERO help in getting to the bottom of it. So I up the game on my Cloudflare plan and install extra security measures to help reduce that type of thing. Setting up Google and other search engines to not visit so much, blocking others all together. One of these days I’ll send Mr. Putin a bill.
Helped for a little while. But issues started to pop up again, and I started cleaning house on various WordPress plugins. I probably tried to tweak more than I should have. Probably screwed something up along the way. Got up and running smoothly for a little while.
At the end of 2016, my host, Lunarpages, started nagging me again. Something causing resource issues, excess CPU load, blah blah. Since I was not the most awesome site on the internet getting all this real traffic from real people, I concluded it was their sucky servers and jumped ship, with a pre-paid plan left on the table. Now I’m at another host, and the grass did start to seem greener.
That is until stuff like the above happened. Edward Snowden would be proud of me trying to send encrypted data to nature photography spies around the world. My site would get this fancy look for my blog every once in awhile, even on my login page preventing me from even logging into WordPress to find out what was going on. At this point I think I broke something pretty good.
When my site did load properly, it was getting scores of D- to E on page load tests at Pingdom and GTmetrix. Heck, even I didn’t want to visit it. Every operation in my WordPress Admin area was taking forever. So I basically uninstalled just about everything, purged my theme, and reinstalled. And just recently, I was awarded a good GTMetrix score of “A”. Knock on wood.
So again, my apologies if any of your visits were impacted by any of this mess. Heck, maybe you aren’t even a visitor anymore. I suppose I can always call upon my friends in Russia if it gets too lonely.